The Noise Abatement Society Silent ApproachTM Award winners show that it is possible and cost effective to address noise pollution issues during planning stages of large infrastructure projects and set requirements that are cost effective, often saving time and valuable resources, and do not disturb local residents.
Winner: Olympic Development Authority Code of Construction Practice
The ODA won the Award for their Code of Construction Practice, developed in conjunction with the Environment Agency, Environmental Health Officers, British Waterways and key government and local organisations. The Code of Practice supported the ODA’s vision to deliver an exemplary sustainable development and meet one of they six key Sustainability Objectives set out in ODA strategy: to ‘optimise positive and minimise adverse impacts on land, water, noise and air quality’.
Highlights of the environmental controls introduced include:
- off-site construction of pre-fabricated materials
- reducing the number of lorry movements to the site
- target of 50% of materials (by weight) to be transported to site by rail or water
- noise screens around static plant
- use of hydraulic pile croppers instead of pneumatic breakers
- extensive use of broadband reversing alarms
- use of auger piling or vibro-piling instead of traditional percussion piling
To monitor the effectiveness of controls, the ODA’s Delivery Partner has been appointed to carry out the Environmental Assurance function of the Project including:
- management of an extensive environmental monitoring programme covering noise, vibration, air quality and nuisance dust levels at the boundary and within the site.
The ODA’s Community Relations team work closely with the contractors to ensure that the construction programme has little impact on residents living close by. This is achieved through:
- the provision of a free Construction Hotline
- regular residents’ construction update meetings for people living closest to the park
- the Corporate Social Responsibility programme and community events