The John Connell Technology Award recognises the crucial role that industry plays in the reduction of noise pollution and the positive impacts that result. Often technology that reduces noise will contribute to other environmentally responsible solutions.
Termo King won the Award for their SLX Low Noise front wall mounted refrigeration unit. It is the industry’s first front wall mounted conventional diesel refrigeration unit that is PIEK compliant. PIEK accreditation is being recognised across Europe as the leading standard for low-noise equipment.
Major feature of the SLX Low Noise Unit are:
- over 90% quieter than the diesel refrigeration unit on which it is based
- high density noise barrier to contain and direct airflow and noise
- noise barrier design allowing easy access for checks and maintenance whilst not compromising noise containment
- noise absorbent foam airfoil to maximize airflow to the condenser whilst preventing noise from leaving that location
- ‘labyrinth’ noise channelling surrounded by noise absorbent foam to reduce the energy of passing airflow and dissipate noise
- custom engine exhaust kit including unique muffler
- engine bay vent and muffler to aid cooling and reduce pressure and temperature
The SLX range has been an overwhelming success within the industry, with outstanding performance and results reported from end-users. The SLX provides end-users with the ideal temperature control solution for an environmentally-responsible and cost-sensitive operation.
Highly Commended: Ricardo UK WAVE simulation software
Ricardo UK Ltd reduces automotive noise through the use of its WAVE simulation software.
There has long been a requirement to design and test exhaust systems for all types and sizes of internal combustion engines which has previously involved extensive prototype construction and testing taking three months or more.
Since the early 1990s one-dimensional gas dynamics simulations have been in use and now WAVE has been developed into a highly productive tool allowing optimisation of exhaust system geometry to maximise engine efficiency. Exhaust system optimisation can be performed with unprecendented speed and accuracy and detailed design recommendations can be made within 4 weeks of starting the analysis.
Ricardo’s WAVE software:
- optimises exhaust system geometry
- maximises engine efficiency
- improves performance
- reduces emissions including CO2
- increases fuel consumption
- minimising exhaust noise